Leeks are rich in prebiotics. Prebiotics are a type of fibre that feed the beneficial bacteria in the gut.
Prebiotics helps to stimulate the immune system, eliminate toxins from the body and helps to improve gut health.
- 3 leeks, washed and trimmer
- 25g butter
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 50g creme fraiche
- 70g self raising flour
- 30 g gram flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 80g feta
- small bunch tarragon leaves, chopped
- cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
For the dip
- Zest and juice of half a lemon
- 150g creme fraiche
- lemon wedge to serve
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Lightly fry the leeks in butter and olive oil until softened
- whisk the eggs and cream fraiche. Add the self raising flour and gram flour and baking powder, and mix into the batter. Fold in the leeks, feta and tarragon.
- Add a dash of cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
- Pour oil into a frying pan. Add dollops of the mixture into a pan. Cook until golden, 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Place the fritters on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
To make the dip, mix the lemon zest into the creme fraiche, with a pinch of salt and lemon juice. Sprinkle liberally with sumac and serve with a lemon wedge.